How to apply and maintain your hardware.
To keep the hardware at your house in good condition and to be able to preserve them for many years, we’d like to show you some information about its application, maintenance and conservation.
Stainless Steel Hardware
In general, the AISI 304 Stainless Steel is used for our stainless steel hardware. Some products may also be provided in AISI 316 Stainless Steel.
The main finish is in Satin Stainless Steel (brushed) and some models in Polished Stainless Steel.
The AISI 304 Stainless Steel alloy (also called 18.8 Stainless Steel) is the one that adapts most to the manufacturing of hardware for construction and furniture, because of its composition – Nickel Chrome Steel Alloy – and because besides its anticorrosive and aseptic characteristics it also offers a superior mechanical resistance.
The alloy designated as AISI 316 offers a superior resistance, being used in specific situations when the application is done in places with extremely adverse conditions.
The AISI 430 Stainless Steel alloy, also used in the manufacturing of some hardware, has a ferritic composition, so its application must take that into account.
The AISI 304 and 316 Stainless Steel have superior resistance, however to keep the product looking appealing it’s in your best interest to read carefully the following precautions:
- The hardware must be applied after the construction work is completed, specifically after the painting and treatment / varnishing of the woods.
- After the application of the hardware, acidic substances or substances that contain solvents shouldn’t be used in the cleaning of the floors or other areas of the construction because the vaporization of these products may cause damage.
- To clean you should never use steel or glass wool sponges because they may deposit residue that will later form corrosion points.
- Use nylon sponges and cloths moistened in water. Clean afterwards with a dry and soft cloth.
- The surface of the 304 or 316 Stainless Steel products is susceptible to attacks, leading to the potential appearance of red/ brown spots if constantly submitted to chemical agents, sea air, rain or other external agents. These spots should be avoided by being careful in the application and with regular maintenance / cleaning.
- In situations where a deep cleaning is needed, use appropriate products. In these cases, we'd appreciate your contact, since we provide cleaning, maintenance, reparation and protection products for Stainless Steel.
Brass, Aluminium and Zinc Alloy Hardware
Most of the finishes of these products are coated in a varnish or lacquer protecting layer applied by electrophoretic processes, for protection against corrosion, giving them a high resistance to abrasion and salt mist. To keep the original appearance, it’s extremely important to not damage the protecting layer, therefore, note the following precautions:
- The hardware must be applied after the construction work is completed, specifically after painting and treatment / varnishing of the woods. The chemical products to remove paint and varnish marks shouldn’t, in any case, be used because they damage the protecting layer, causing fast oxidation of the product.
- Acidic substances or substances that contain solvents shouldn’t be used in the cleaning of the floors or other areas of the construction because the vaporization of these products may cause damage in the protecting layer.
- To clean you should only use soft and dry cloths or lightly moistened in clean water.
Maintenance of hinges
We recommend a regular inspection and maintenance of the hinges (twice a year), specially in hinges applied to exit doors, in order to assure the perfect functioning of the panic / emergency devices.
Maintenance should include the appropriate lubrication and checking of the fixing points. The hinges applied to exterior doors require more frequent inspections due to its higher risk of corrosion.
We provide appropriate maintenance / cleaning products for corrosion points in Stainless Steel hinges.
If you have any question contact us, we are always here to help you!
- Team handlie